[Cesg-all] Re: [CMC] RP A3-07 Announcement of Review Opportunity

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke@jpl.nasa.gov
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:40:24 -0700

--=====================_279358468==_.ALT

At 11:38 AM 7/10/2003, ccsds_rapporteur wrote:
>The following draft CCSDS Recommendation has been placed on line for CCSDS
>Agency review:
>      CCSDS 701.0-P-3.1.  Advanced Orbiting Systems, Networks and Data
> Links: Architectural Specification.
>                          Pink Sheets.  April 2003.
>DOCUMENT DESCRIPTION:  This draft update to the Advanced Orbiting Systems,
>Networks and Data Links: Architectural Specification Recommendation
>modifies the VCDU Header by converting three of seven spare bits into a
>new VCDU Counter Extension field.
+++++++++++++++++++++

It is critical that this document should get a very wide review,
particularly from industry. This is one of the "key" controlling
specifications of the space/ground interface, and we know that there are
many commercial implementations of the protocol deployed around the world.
It is thus essential that the industrial suppliers from all countries
should thoroughly review this (and any other such changes to the core CCSDS
protocol suite), so that our "installed base" is not de-stabilized.

Section 2.2.3 (Volume 2) of the Restructuring Plan addressed this issue:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
C       Industrial Relations

Achieving space mission cost reductions via standardization significantly
relies on the willingness and ability of the commercial supplier base to
invest in providing standards-compatible systems and equipment.
Although  CCSDS has historically (and of economic necessity) been
Agency-centric, a new and formal mechanism is needed whereby the industrial
support base of all CCSDS Agencies can become more proactively involved
with standardization activities.

At present, industrial relationships are primarily administered on a local
basis, with each Agency supporting its own interfaces with its national
industry. However, this arrangement does not properly cater to the emerging
trans-national nature of space commerce and lacks a strong central focus
within the CCSDS organization. It is strongly recommended that the CMC
should formalize the "International Associates" program, using web-based
information interchange services provided by the Secretariat as a
day-to-day focal point for two-way information exchange. A prominent and
dedicated area of the CCSDS web site should be provided to handle this
dialog. Industrial user groups and interest groups be encouraged and
newsletters, workshops, etc. should be regularly scheduled to ensure that
their needs and inputs are heard.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I would like to request that the CMC should rapidly act upon this part of
the plan by setting up a web-based mechanism whereby the industrial base of
all Agencies is alerted to such proposed changes, and is given an
opportunity to comment and interact before any final decisions are made.
And, in particular, that this proposed set of AOS Pink Sheets should be
exposed this community.

Best regards
Adrian

Adrian J. Hooke
Chairman, CCSDS Engineering Steering Group (CESG)
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory,
Interplanetary Network Directorate
M/S 303-400, 4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, California 91109-8099, USA
+1.818.354.3063 OFFICE
+1.818.653.9553 MOBILE
+1 818.393.6228 FAX
http://www.ccsds.org

--=====================_279358468==_.ALT

wrote:<br>
Recommendation has been placed on line for CCSDS Agency review:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; CCSDS 701.0-P-3.1.&nbsp; Advanced Orbiting
Systems, Networks and Data Links: Architectural Specification.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Pink Sheets.&nbsp; April 2003.<br>
DOCUMENT DESCRIPTION:&nbsp; This draft update to the Advanced Orbiting
Systems, Networks and Data Links: Architectural Specification
Recommendation modifies the VCDU Header by converting three of seven
spare bits into a new VCDU Counter Extension
particularly from industry. This is one of the &quot;key&quot;
controlling specifications of the space/ground interface, and we know
that there are many commercial implementations of the protocol deployed
around the world. It is thus essential that the industrial suppliers from
all countries should thoroughly review this (and any other such changes
to the core CCSDS protocol suite), so that our &quot;installed base&quot;
is not de-stabilized.<br><br>
Section 2.2.3 (Volume 2) of the Restructuring Plan addressed this
issue:<br><br>
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++<br>
C<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Industrial
Relations<br><br>
Achieving space mission cost reductions via standardization significantly
relies on the willingness and ability of the commercial supplier base to
invest in providing standards-compatible systems and equipment.
Although&nbsp; CCSDS has historically (and of economic necessity) been
Agency-centric, a new and formal mechanism is needed whereby the
industrial support base of all CCSDS Agencies can become more proactively
involved with standardization activities. <br><br>
At present, industrial relationships are primarily administered on a
local basis, with each Agency supporting its own interfaces with its
national industry. However, this arrangement does not properly cater to
the emerging trans-national nature of space commerce and lacks a strong
central focus within the CCSDS organization. It is strongly recommended
that the CMC should formalize the &quot;International Associates&quot;
program, using web-based information interchange services provided by the
Secretariat as a day-to-day focal point for two-way information exchange.
A prominent and dedicated area of the CCSDS web site should be provided
to handle this dialog. Industrial user groups and interest groups be
encouraged and newsletters, workshops, etc. should be regularly scheduled
to ensure that their needs and inputs are heard. <br>
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++<br><br>
<b>I would like to request that the CMC should rapidly act upon this part
of the plan by setting up a web-based mechanism whereby the industrial
base of all Agencies is alerted to such proposed changes, and is given an
opportunity to comment and interact before any final decisions are made.
And, in particular, that this proposed set of AOS Pink Sheets should be
exposed this community.<br><br>
</b>Best regards<br>
Adrian<br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Adrian J. Hooke<br>
Chairman, CCSDS Engineering Steering Group (CESG)<br>
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, <br>
Interplanetary Network Directorate<br>
M/S 303-400, 4800 Oak Grove Drive<br>
Pasadena, California 91109-8099, USA<br>
+1.818.354.3063 OFFICE<br>
+1.818.653.9553 MOBILE<br>
+1 818.393.6228 FAX<br>
</a></html>