[Ccsds-omg-liaison] [OMG] 2020Q3 Thursday Update to all members

Jason McC. Smith jason at omg.org
Fri Sep 18 00:42:27 UTC 2020

Greetings, all!

We’re nearing the end of our 2020 Q3 OMG Technical Community meeting week, and I’m happy to report another group was voted by the Architecture Board this afternoon to be recommended to the relevant Technical Committee at tomorrow’s plenary:

IDL4 to C++ Language Mapping RFP 		Fernando Garcia, RTI
Version 4 of the Interface Definition Language (IDL) specification extends the traditional IDL syntax and defines a comprehensive set of building blocks to categorize it. Such evolution of IDL requires the definition of a a new set of language mappings, because existing mappings, such as IDL to C++ and IDL to C++11, do not include complete coverage of the new constructs introduced in IDL version 4 and newer, and do not map well to the new building-block structure.

This RFP solicits proposals for an IDL4 to C++ mapping.

This looks to be a solid addition to our stable of IDL mappings, and continue the tradition of forming foundational technologies for collaboration and systems design.

That brings our list of AB recommended items to four, and we hope you will join us tomorrow for the Friday plenary.  As a reminder, this is when we hear from the chairs of all of the groups that met, what they worked on, what they plan, and what their next steps are.  It is a fantastic way to get, and stay, informed as to what is going on in your OMG Technical Community.  You’ll see what’s coming down the pipe, and have a chance to join groups just embarking on their paths towards publication.

Registration is still free for all OMG Member representatives even at this late hour, and you can do so at https://www.omg.org/events/2020Q3/registration.htm <https://www.omg.org/events/2020Q3/registration.htm>.  Once you do, you will gain access to the schedule where you will find our call in links.  Call in, listen in, and join in the conversation, starting bright and early at 8:30am EDT.

*** AB Nominations ***
I’d also like to announce that it is time again for Architecture Board nominations!  We have five seats opening for renewal in December of this year, voting will occur at the end of the 2020 Q4 meeting, to be seated in 2021 Q1. (Hopefully by that time we will be able to provide the actual seats again.)  The AB members are nominated by their peers of the OMG, and take on a great deal of responsibility and work in reviewing and advising on every document formally published by the OMG.

We have three Platform and two Domain seats opening up.  If you are interested, and your Member company is of the appropriate level of membership (Platform, Domain, or Contributing), you may perform the annual ritual of the Gathering of the Signatures, and get your forms back to Jürgen Boldt, our esteemed VP of Member Services, at juergen at omg.org by Dec 1, 2020.  The form is available under the Architecture Board section on our templates page at https://www.omg.org/technology/template_download.htm , and you will also find the required employer permission form there.  Do not skip that form, it is required to be correctly considered for nomination. As always, the P&P is our guide, Section 3.1.3 has the details if you wish to get into the nitty-gritty (https://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?pp).

Since gathering the obligatory ten (10) signatures in person is a little bit more difficult these days, we are asking that you send the form to a signatory as a PDF, have them sign and return it via email, and send them all in to Jürgen.  Yes, we still need actual scribble signatures, electronic assertions will not satisfy the language of our P&P despite our best efforts to re-interpret it to that effect.  (We are revisiting that language to see if we can make this a bit easier next year.)  If you have any questions, please mail myself or Jürgen, and we’ll be happy to assist.

And with that, I bid you a good evening, and hope to see you (or not, depending on your webcam settings) in the morning.  We’ll have an interesting time, as always.

Jason McC. Smith, Ph.D.
VP / Technical Director
Object Management Group
jason at omg.org