[Ccsds-omg-liaison] [OMG] New Student Poster Session Program

Jason McC. Smith jason at omg.org
Thu Feb 13 03:24:28 UTC 2020

Greetings all, we have an exciting new program to announce!

At our DDS Foundation Meet and Greet in Nashville, we invited students from Vanderbilt University to present poster sessions on research they were doing related to DDS.  This was, in a nutshell, a great success.  We found the students, their fresh viewpoints, and novel innovations, to be a wonderful addition to the evening.  Our feedback was that they also found the experience to be worthwhile.

We’ve decided to expand this, by initiating a Student Poster Session Program.  For those of you not steeped in academia, a poster session is fairly self-explanatory, an opportunity for students to create an informational ‘poster’ describing their research, display it in a conference setting, and engage in dialogue with attendees.  It is less formal than a presented talk, or paper that is published in the proceedings of a conference, but it is a professional reference that can be used to build that ever-important CV.  It is also a fantastic opportunity for the students to meet and network with a community of experts such as our OMG, as well as for us to get a glimpse into what is going on at the leading edge of innovation.

You can find information about this program at the following URI, including a link to the registration form.  https://www.omg.org/events/student-poster-session-program/index.htm <https://www.omg.org/events/student-poster-session-program/index.htm>

As it can take some time to properly form a poster for such a session (or even perform original research), we are targeting our first such session at Burlingame, CA in September.  If you know of faculty or students within a half day’s drive, it would be helpful if you could pass this along to them.  We also would appreciate using your networks to get the word out in general, in addition to our own outreach.  You can point your networks to the official OMG account announcements at:

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ObjectMgmtGroup/status/1227622986338926594 <https://twitter.com/ObjectMgmtGroup/status/1227622986338926594>
Linked in:  https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6633387369686974464 <https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6633387369686974464>
This will be an ongoing program, so please look at our calendar of upcoming meetings, and think about who you could contact in the upcoming locations.

The poster displays are expected to be set up on Wednesday afternoon, colocated with our exhibitors as space permits, such that they are readily available for mingling during the afternoon, and during our usual reception.

Adjudication for acceptance of posters will be coordinated initially by the Academic Working Group in conjunction with Architecture Board members, but we would greatly love to see topic-appropriate experts weigh in as needed.  That would be you, and the rest of our members.  There are no specific restrictions on the topics that can be submitted, because we have such a wide range of topics at the OMG to choose from.  If a poster topic catches your attention, please let us know, it would be extremely helpful to have your expertise.  (If we receive a topic that we can’t find a fit for within the OMG, and no one is willing to step up to review it, we will decline it.)

This looks to be the start of an ongoing, mutually beneficial exchange of ideas and community building, and we’re thrilled to have it kick off.  If you have interest in providing review and feedback as we receive submission requests, let me know and I will add you to the list of volunteers.  Otherwise, keep an eye out for future announcements where something may catch your attention.

Thanks everyone, and see you soon in Reston.

Jason McC. Smith, Ph.D.
VP / Technical Director
Object Management Group
jason at omg.org <mailto:jason at omg.org>