[Ccsds-omg-liaison] XTCE Reference Implementation?

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 4 10:22:42 EST 2005

At 09:07 PM 2/3/2005, Takahiro Yamada wrote:
>>c) The XTCE specification consists of:
>>    - an English specification (English)
>>    - a machine-interpretable XML schema
>>    - a PPT format tutorial
>>d) The first two (specification) documents need to be encapsulated within
>>a CCSDS "Red Book" (Draft Standard) and the tutorial within a CCSDS draft
>>Green Book (Report). The Red Book then needs to be sent out for expedited
>>CCSDS Agency formal review:
>A question. Are there already two independent implementations or plans for
>implementation?

++++++++++++++++++

Takahiro: that's a very good question, which I forgot to ask during the
teleconference. The SM&C-WG and SDTF people should answer it. The CCSDS
requirements are listed below. The XTCE specification is being proposed as
an Issue-1 Red Book andf so Mario should specifically address this when
transmitting the document to the CESG.

///adrian
++++++++++++++++++

CCSDS Draft Standard (Red Book)

Elevation to Draft Standard is a major advance in status, indicating a
strong belief that the specification is mature and will be useful. A second
explicit CESG and CMC approval action is required to move a Proposed
Standard to the Draft Standard level. A Draft Standard must be well
understood and known to be quite stable, both in its semantics and as a
basis for developing an implementation.  It will generally go through
several "Issues" during which time it will progressively become more
mature. Every time that an Issue of a Draft Standard is published, it
automatically triggers a formal Agency review and the results of that
review must be satisfactorily incorporated before a new Issue can be
published. Since formal Agency reviews consume resources, a "review budget"
must be agreed by the CESG and the CMC prior to publishing the first Issue
of a Draft Standard; this budget identifies how many review cycles can be
consumed without re-authorization by the CMC. Each separate Issue must
clearly state the status of the specification and must indicate the risks
associated with implementing it in its current state.

At some point in the evolution of a Draft Standard that is intended to
result in a change to mission support infrastructure, at least one hardware
or software prototype (or other implementation) must exist which
demonstrates and exercises all of the options and features of the
specification in an operationally relevant environment, either real or
simulated. This point may be Issue-1, or it may be a later Issue depending
on circumstances, but for most documents the implementation must exist
prior to issuing a "final" Draft Standard. The WG Chair is responsible for
documenting the specific implementation(s) that qualify the specification,
along with reports relevant to their testing, or for justifying why such
implementation is either inappropriate or should otherwise be waived.  The
documentation of the qualifying implementation must include clear
statements about its ability to support each of the individual options and
features.  If patented or otherwise controlled technology is required for
the implementation, it must be demonstrated that the licensing process and
fees are fair and non-discriminatory

In its final stages of Issue, a Draft Standard is normally considered to be
a final specification, and changes are likely to be made only to solve
specific problems encountered.  In most circumstances, it is fairly safe
for users to deploy implementations of the final Issue of a Draft Standard
into a disruption sensitive operational environment.

CCSDS Recommended Standard (Blue Book)

Generally, only a specification for which significant implementation
experience has been obtained may be elevated to the CCSDS Recommended
Standard level. (Exceptions include things like prescriptive Reference
Models, which are not intended to be directly implemented in hardware or
software.)  A CCSDS Recommended Standard is characterized by a high degree
of technical maturity and by a generally held belief that the specified
protocol or service provides significant benefit to the international space
mission community.

Converting a CCSDS Draft Standard to a CCSDS Recommended Standard is always
preceded by a successful final formal Agency review. With a few exceptions
(for which waivers must be sought), conversion of a Draft Standard to a
Recommended Standard also requires that at least two independent and
interoperable prototypes or implementations must have been developed and
demonstrated in an operationally-relevant environment, either real or
simulated. In cases in which one or more options or features have not been
demonstrated in at least two interoperable prototypes or implementations,
the specification may advance to the CCSDS Recommended Standard level only
if those options or features are removed. The WG Chair is responsible for
documenting the specific implementations that qualify the specification for
CCSDS Recommended Standard status, along with reports relevant to their
testing, or for justifying why such implementation is either inappropriate
or should otherwise be waived.  The documentation of qualifying
implementations must include specific statements about its ability to
support each of the individual options and features. If patented or
otherwise controlled technology is required for the separate
implementations, they each must also have resulted from separate exercise
of the licensing process and it must be demonstrated by the WG chair that
the licensing process and fees are fair and non-discriminatory.