[SLS] SLS Overview for Lunar Interoperability Forum - your feedback/input kindly requested

Ignacio Aguilar Sanchez Ignacio.Aguilar.Sanchez at esa.int
Wed Apr 17 09:16:39 UTC 2024

Dear SLS WG Chairs and Deputies,

As you may know CCSDS has organised a Lunar Interoperability Forum to take place after the CESG/CMC meetings in May.

The CESG together with the CMC Chair met once more yesterday to review the status of preparations for this event.
Each CCSDS Area is expected to provide a 10-minute presentation as part of the Agenda.
SEA and CSS had already initiated preparation of their presentations.
SLS (me) shared a very preliminary presentation yesterday with the main goal of obtaining feedback, but also further guidance based on a commonly agreed approach on the messages to be delivered.
Questions about the identification of our audience were discussed.
As far as I understand there is no yet a clear view on for instance how knowledgeable about CCSDS this audience will be.
Nevertheless, one key point I took away was that we all need to emphasize the benefits that our standards bring to those who may want to consider their use.

After the meeting yesterday, Peter released an updated version of the SEA presentation, reflecting our last agreements.
Therefore, I have updated my initial draft accordingly.
The current version is sitting at this CWE folder: 2024-04-17 Lunar Interoperability Forum - May 2024 - All Documents (ccsds.org)<https://cwe.ccsds.org/sls/docs/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fsls%2Fdocs%2FSLS%20Area%2FCWE%20Private%2F2024%2D04%2D17%20Lunar%20Interoperability%20Forum%20%2D%20May%202024&FolderCTID=0x012000439B56FF51847E41B5728F9730D7B55F&View=%7BAE8FB44C%2DE80A%2D42CF%2D8558%2DFB495ABB675F%7D>

Please note the following:

Slides 1 and 2 are already commonly agreed to quickly introduce and illustrate the placement of SLS within CCSDS.
Note as well that SEA will be the first area, presenting the famous CWE CCSDS organization diagram without getting into much detail for the boxes.
Peter's presentation will have the full dynamic aspect for slide 2 whereas all the other areas will take a static view just delimiting the respective area.

Slides 3 and 4 are now aligned with a draft text to the approach that Peter has used to present the WG "products".
Please look at what is currently written and feel free to amend the text of your respective working group.

For SDLS, one odd finding is that I have always been using the terms Space Data Link Security (SDLS) whereas CWE names the WG as Space Data Link Layer Security.
Hence, I have aligned the name with CWE for this presentation.
In my previous draft I had tried to reuse the wording contained for each WG in the CCSDS Strategy for SLS.
Apart from producing a lengthy and somewhat verbose text, one conclusion I reached is that a revision of that text may be necessary and ideally agreed within SLS at our SLS Plenary Meeting in May before submitting it to CESG.
It would be very useful for Gilles and me that you look at your corresponding WG text and come back with feedback to be discussed at the SLS Plenary.

Slide 5 follows again the template established by Peter but emphasizing the interoperability points at SLS level within the E2E architecture.
There was some discussion about the details shown in each node and the risk of this "example" of combining CCSDS standards being interpreted as prescriptive.
It is certainly not my intention to delve beyond the three blue boxes at the bottom that you see in the three nodes relevant to SLS interoperability points.

The difficult part of SLS in my view is what comes next: the selection of the key standards that support Lunar Interoperability and how to "sell" them to the audience in a tabular form (slides 7 and 8).
When you look at the public CCSDS webpage and search for SLS BBs, you obtain 33 hits!
I already shared that fact with CESG colleagues and CMC Chair yesterday.
Perhaps a third slide may be needed.
The CESG is aware and understanding that we are a special case.

Although I believe I more or less know which SLS standards are expected to show up in this table, I would kindly invite you to identify them for your respective WG, write down their status, synopsis, and crucially, to briefly describe their benefit(s) in the "Comments" column.
I believe our colleagues of Data Compression could be exempted from this exercise because although their standards are evolving, as far as I understand there is no anticipated evolution driven by a Lunar communications context. Please confirm.

The CESG will have another check point on preparations next week (23 April).
Both Gilles and me may not be able to attend as we will attending a conference in Paris where we together with Bruno Saba will deliver a lecture on CCSDS SDLS and SDLS EPs
The CESG is aware of this event and the opportunity we have been given to promote CCSDS standards.

To conclude this long e-mail, I would kindly ask you fill in the standards tables before next Monday evening.

Feel free to contact me and Gilles for any further feedback.

Kind regards,

Ignacio

P.D. I have also included a copy of Peter's presentation for the SEA at the same CWE folder.

Ignacio Aguilar Sánchez
Communication Systems Engineer
Electrical Engineering Department

European Space Research and Technology Centre
Keplerlaan 1, PO Box 299, 2200 AG Noordwijk, The Netherlands
Mob.+31641360257
Fax  +31715655418
Email: ignacio.aguilar.sanchez at esa.int<mailto:ignacio.aguilar.sanchez at esa.int>
www.esa.int<http://www.esa.int/>

This message is intended only for the recipient(s) named above. It may contain proprietary information and/or protected content. Any unauthorised disclosure, use, retention or dissemination is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately. ESA applies appropriate organisational measures to protect personal data, in case of data privacy queries, please contact the ESA Data Protection Officer (dpo at esa.int).