[Sis-dtn] [EXTERNAL] Re: Updates on LTPv2 Corrigendum and BPv7 RID database

sburleig.sb at gmail.com sburleig.sb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 19:17:48 UTC 2023

No, the issue is not the block size; that’s clearly defined in the specification.  The issue is being able to determine the lengths of all the individual client data units that are aggregated in the block.

That is easily determined if the client is BP, because each bundle’s size is self-identifying.  But suppose the client is Email?  How does the LTP engine that receives this LTP block figure out where one of the aggregated emails ends and the next one begins?  That method must be defined somewhere, and the receiving engine can use the client ID – once it is registered with SANA – to look up the parsing method.  But that’s beyond the scope of this specification.

What Felix is suggesting is, more or less, that each client data unit in the block could be preceded by a 32-bit unsigned integer giving the length of that client data unit, regardless of client ID.  This would be a general mechanism, imposing some additional overhead cost, which is NOT included in the LTP spec.  We need not talk about it.

Scott