[Sis-dtn] [EXTERNAL] IPN Node Number Assignment

Torgerson, J. Leigh (US 332C) jordan.l.torgerson at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jan 19 17:48:33 UTC 2023

Whatever you do now may not survive IETF.. There have been substantial questions about CBHE conventions within the IETF (reference IETF 115, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqA-19a_XQY), and at least one IETF draft is proposing that the CBHE numbering scheme be changed to include constructs like ipn:Authority#.node#.service#. See https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dtn-ipn-update/00/

We need a hierarchical name space, and the current proposal is less complicated than the first draft that was put out (which proposed ipn:Authority#.Subauthority#.node#.service#, which I rather liked because Authority could be mapped to space agency or commercial program, subauthority could be mapped to missions, and that would push the assignment of node numbers down to the mission level, where they may need to add, remove or rename nodes at their convenience.)

The problem with the IETF proposal is that it is NOT backwards compatible – Scott Burleigh maintains it is, but his definition of backwards-compatible is that NEW DTN implementations could be written to accept the current ipn: scheme. That’s not my definition of backwards compatible – I mean that CURRENT implementations of DTN (such as the NASA ION baseline software, cFS, and other ION-based flight software as flown now (KPLO for instance) or planning to be flown need to be able to accept and route on a new ipn:# -- maybe the node couldn’t parse the hierarchical content that will help automated routing in the future, but by user configuration of the contact plans, that could be handled, as long as whatever new number still fit in the current CBOR definition of ipn:# so the current fielded code doesn’t break..

(We lost the opportunity to have DTN specified for the Artemis missions because there was NO formal specification to define BPv7 in time for the contract documents to go out with the Bluebook number. So my other warning to IETF is that if they impose this on DTN, or if CCSDS drags their feet in updating the Bluebook or whatever is necessary, we’ll have the same “lack of specification” problem in putting out contracts for the next round of lunar missions, and further delay the use of DTN at the moon. If we wait long enough, an infrastructure based on udp/ip and homegrown store and forward and routing methods will take root and DTN will be unnecessary in the minds of many..)

Anyway, whatever CCSDS decides, just be aware that there may be issues with commercial participation in CCSDS missions if the commercial users have adopted a new IETF ipn: scheme.

Leigh

J. Leigh Torgerson
Space Communications Networking Architect
Protocol Technology Lab Manager
Communications Architectures & Research (332)
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
4800 Oak Grove Drive M/S: 238-420
Pasadena, CA 91109
Office: (818) 393-0695