[Sis-dtn] [EXTERNAL] RE: Special use of sequence number in bundle creation time stamp

Wilmot, Jonathan J. (GSFC-580.0)[VANTAGE SYSTEMS INC] jonathan.j.wilmot at nasa.gov
Wed Aug 9 15:42:43 UTC 2023

Scott,

   I am not seeing how it makes the original use case more difficult. The timestamp is still time and a sequence number in context of a given source EID. It may help the original use case for systems that are having time issues.

   I may be missing something, could you please add more detail on the issue(s)?

Kind regards,

     Jonathan Wilmot

CCSDS SOIS Area Director
GSFC DTN Systems Engineer
cFS Architecture
Cell 301-751-2658

From: sburleig.sb at gmail.com <sburleig.sb at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 11:31 AM
To: 'Felix Flentge' <Felix.Flentge at esa.int>; 'Dr. Keith L Scott via SIS-DTN' <sis-dtn at mailman.ccsds.org>
Cc: Singh, Somendra {Simon} (GSFC-5820) <simon.singh at nasa.gov>; Wilmot, Jonathan J. (GSFC-580.0)[VANTAGE SYSTEMS INC] <jonathan.j.wilmot at nasa.gov>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] RE: [Sis-dtn] Special use of sequence number in bundle creation time stamp

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of NASA.  Please take care when clicking links or opening attachments.  Use the "Report Message" button to report suspicious messages to the NASA SOC.

Hi, Felix.  One thing to keep in mind is that the purpose of the sequence number in the bundle creation timestamp is to distinguish among bundles that have the same bundle creation time.  This can occur when bundles are created at a very high rate or when bundle creation time is zero due to the absence of an accurate clock.

I would suggest that using bundle creation timestamp sequence numbers for other purposes makes it more difficult to use those numbers for their original purpose.

If sequence numbering of bundles in these various ways is important, I think it would be better to encode those numbers (and the flags describing their significance) in an immutable extension block, i.e., an extension block that is one of the additional targets of a block integrity block covering the primary block.

Scott