[Sis-dtn] Special use of sequence number in bundle creation time stamp

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Wed Aug 9 14:57:56 UTC 2023

> Le 9 août 2023 à 10:42, Felix Flentge via SIS-DTN <sis-dtn at mailman.ccsds.org> a écrit :
>
> Dear All,

> If we want to use BPCF, what is the way to specify this? Should we / do we need to go IETF or could CCSDS be sufficient (to start with)? Ideally we would use some of the reserved first 16 bits (e.g. Bit 7 – 10)

Bundle Processing Control Flags are managed in an IANA registry (https://www.iana.org/assignments/bundle/bundle.xhtml#processing-control). The current policy says: "Specification Required”. That means that one can request new values if it can be demonstrated that a specification requires it (i.e. one would have to provide the URL of an SDO document). So it could be done either in IETF or CCSDS.  And when specification is done, then send a request to IANA for registering the values.  The designated experts  (identified in the meta data of the registry)  may be requested to review the specification document if it is not clear for the values requested from the IANA staff perspective. A point to note: in typical registries, a requestor is not asking specific bits or code points. IANA does assign them “for you”. One of the reasons is that they may currently have other parallel requests for the same registry being processed and the fact that one look at the registry with available values does not really reflect reality. But if one really wants specific bits, then in the request to IANA, one has to justify (on the engineering side) why these specific bits/code points. In that context, the designated experts will likely be asked to confirm the engineering justification.

This note is to help people understand the process.

Marc (who helped on contract IANA for 15 years… and started SANA using IANA as an inspiration…)