[Sis-csi] 2:30 Eastern it is

Lloyd Wood L.Wood at surrey.ac.uk
Thu Jan 25 16:44:14 EST 2007

At Thursday 25/01/2007 15:45 -0500, Marc Blanchet wrote:
>>What rates can VxWorks forward at over the past N years?
>>VxWorks -- how fast can the network stack forward.
>
>why bind standards and architecture with specific stack/OS
>implementation?

because you want implementations, and what good is a standard without implementations?

The 'real world' choices for operating systems in space hardware tend to be VxWorks or RTEMS. What these two OS architectures have matters for implementation - e.g. RTEMS lacks processes/memory management.

I think an appreciation of how much performance you can get out of real-world space hardware is important and has ramifications for architecture/design decisions. The effects of Moore's law are brutal in space (exponential increase seems slower than on Earth, so there's a gap) and thanks to power/radhard requirements the processors used are slow. You'll be imo lucky to achieve 10Mbps line rate from a stack running on a power-conserving general-purpose processor without hardware assist or brutal performance tweaking.

L.