[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] [EXTERNAL] Navigation Functions Message draft Concept Paper

Daniel Oltrogge dan at comspoc.com
Mon Sep 18 16:40:00 UTC 2023

David –

I finally got enough time to review your write-up on the Navigation Functions Message concept, and I think it is a very good start.

You did a good job of capturing the relevant pros and cons of the concept, though  I believe that there are also aspects of “enforced harmonization”, message cross-consistency, and much less work load on the part of both the standards development effort as well as testing (given that once you implement the NFM and build unit tests for it, none of that needs to be coded up or tested for any new message sub-elements).

As we add more messages (LDM, FDM, …?), these resource savings will scale accordingly - - at least linearly, but likely exponentially as we no longer have to fight to maintain consistency between “N” standards.

Thanks and great job,

Dan

Dan Oltrogge ▪ CSSI Director and Chief Scientist ▪ COMSPOC Corporation ▪ 719-482-4552<mailto:719-482-4552> ▪ dan at comspoc.com<mailto:dan at comspoc.com>