[CESG] [EXTERNAL] RE: Moving forward with Lunar Interoperability Forum

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Mar 1 19:33:12 UTC 2024

Tomaso,

I think this is great.  The more that we can all speak and deliver essentially the same message, in our own voices of course, the better off we will be.

Would you be willing to share your materials prior to delivering them?

Along these same lines of “Lunar Interoperability”, but on what should only be a slight tangent, I learned today that the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) has just published a document titled “3rd Generation Partnership Project; Technical Specification Group Services and System Aspects; Study on satellite access Phase 3”.  The public document is attached here.  You may be saying “so what, what does this have to do with CCSDS and Lunar Interoperabilty?”.

This document purports to describe a 5G architecture that corresponds to a set of 5G requirements that include “store & forward” and use over non-geo-stationary satellite links (NGSO).  And the example that is provided on pg 44, fig A-1, states “The concept of “S&F” service is widely used in the fields of delay-tolerant networking and disruption-tolerant networking.”.   You might think that the use of those specific phrases means that they are adopting DTN, but, in fact, they do not mention DTN at all.  In fact, what I understand is that the 3GPP members, who are highly competitive instead of collaborative, supplied some 20 separate proposals all of which were different company owned approaches and none of which were DTN.

So yes, 3GPP is a little off-topic for Lunar interoperability, but I think it is highly germane.  I think we, CCSDS, should seek a liaison relationship with the 3GPP and offer them up our DTN solution over their 5G circuits.  This liaison relationship may or may not work, but I think it is worth a shot.  The SOIS already has a working relationship with at least one of the 3GPP companies.  NASA has, I know, some separate 3GPP effort going on.  And somehow ETSI is also involved.  What CCSDS (and the agencies involved in Lunar exploration), have to offer is a possible path to use of 3GPP architecture, and DTN, on the Moon.   This is what the CCSDS 3GPP and WiFi document envisions.

What do you think?  Is this something we should aggressively pursue, and now?

Regards, Peter