[CESG] [EXTERNAL] RE: CCSDS Resolution SEA-R-2023-10-001, appointment of Marcus Wallum as the SEA Security WG Deputy Chair

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 11 16:45:34 UTC 2023

Hi Daniel (et al),

I agree that the Org & Proc doc is a little confusing on this matter (and others, I might add).  The reason is that the Org & Proc is organized along the lines of “responsibilities”, for each of the categories; CMC, CESG, AD, WG chair.   But what we have been trying to do is to discuss a “procedure”, which in this case cross cuts: WG, AD, CESG, and CMC.  So yes, we are trying to find all the “procedure threads” and pull them out of a “responsibility” document.  I would note that there are some “procedure” parts in the Org and Proc too, such as CESG Meetings, Sec 5.2.3 or On-line Voting, Sec 5.3, but not in this case.

My own re-statement of what I believe is accurate is this:

  1.  AD asks WG and CMC for candidates (Sec. 2.3.3.4)
  2.  CMC is given a month to respond (Sec 2.3.3.4, which sometimes results in a one month séance during which there is dead silence)
  3.  AD selects from the available candidates (Sec 2.3.3.4) and asks the CESG to approve / concur (Sec. 2.3.2.3.n)

As you note, it is often the case that the AD will ask the WG if they have an obvious candidate, but there is no mention of “agree upon”.  In practice that’s a good thing to do, but it is not stated. The WG, after all, is our experts in that field of technical subject matter.  If there is more than one candidate (a very lucky and unusual situation in my experience) then the AD has to make a choice.  There is no stated process nor guidance for doing this, so you are free to use any process you wish.  I tend to favor an extremely murky crystal ball, but other options are available.  That’s a joke, of course.  If there are choices and there is a question of who might make the best candidate I tend to go ask trusted experts who know the field better than I do.

I will make a different, but somewhat related, point, since we are having this discussion.  There is nothing in the CCSDS Org and Proc doc about trying to maintain anything like appropriate balance among agencies.  In this context it is always of interest that Klaus-Juergen, and the CESG chairs who preceded him, have always reported at the Plenary meetings on Agency participation statistics.  This is a demonstration that the various Agencies are actually invested in, and support, what we do.  But the focus in the Org & Proc is on picking the best candidates for any position (at all levels).  And that is someone who has (quoting from the WG Chair, Sec 2.3.3.4):

“Candidates for selection as WG chairs must be recognized as a leading technical expert in the field covered by that WG. Candidates may come from any organization (including industry) and do not have to be employees of space agencies. “
The point I am trying to make here, even though it is not written anywhere, is that sometimes we may make candidate choices to try and maintain some acceptable level of organizational balance as well.  This is just sensible because it is a way of helping to ensure that all of the significant contributing member agencies actively demonstrate that they are invested in the CCSDS organization and our products by supporting key leadership positions.

Thanks, Peter