[CESG] [EXTERNAL] AW: Last Hop / First Hop service

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed May 31 05:22:40 UTC 2023

Hi Tomaso,

I do not think that there is anything in the LunaNet, nor in the IOAG Mars and Lunar comm architectures, that substitutes for this capability.  I think that the focus has most always been on the core functions of DTN, and CPNT, and not on any standardized way to recover from problems.  When we did the SISG report we were initially focused on how we could use this new DTN capability to service end nodes that were not DTN enabled, but also how we could provide a “reboot” capability for an ailing spacecraft from a nearby DTN node.  The capabilities includes in this package were to address that, and we also realized that there were other features that we could layer on this, like open loop recording for EDL tracking.

We associated this with SSI and DTN because the capabilities are only really needed in a DTN context.  That said, I do realize that these features can be viewed as an “application” built on top of DTN and that some group other than SIS DTN WG might be better equipped to define it.  In some ways what is needed is not unlike a specification for a ground station, instructing it to configure for a given purpose and then to radiate data of a stated form in a stated direction.  In some ways this is similar to what CSS SM does, but at a much lower level of detail.  Perhaps CSS FRM has something to contribute.

Or it may be that SOIS EDS could be used to define the formats of these data items and services.  The data themselves, and the meta-data / delivery instructions can, I believe, be sent as a simple file transfer to the “service port” using CFDP and DTN.

I think we need something that is very simple and focused.

Best regards, Peter