[Ccsds-omg-liaison] OMG Community & Online Services Update

Terrance Milligan milligan at omg.org
Tue Oct 18 01:13:03 UTC 2022

Greetings,

Last Monday, Oct 10, all OMG community websites and online services were subjected to a massive Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) attack that has been ongoing since.

At one point, we were experiencing the amount of traffic we normally would receive in a month, every minute​.  This is a truly distributed attack, without any specific geolocation.

Despite the onslaught, I am happy to report that we have no sign that any systems are breached or compromised.  Also, while availability was dismal for a time, no services or servers were completely brought down. Our network capacity was simply overwhelmed and bandwidth depleted.

We have since instituted multiple levels of server resilience, network hardening, and CDN caching, the outer barricade being Cloudflare, which has presented some of you with issues.  We are therefore adjusting our Cloudflare stance and monitoring the effect.  If the load on our servers continues to be sufficiently low, we will leave it the lower level, but if the attack begins to directly affect our servers again, we will adjust it back to the higher, more defensive posture and investigate further alternatives.

Thank you for your patience during this week, and as we tune the security parameters.  If you experience broken pages, stale data, or unexpected behavior, please let me know immediately.  Some details on select services:

 *   The Wiki pages at https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwiki.omg.org%2F&data=05%7C01%7Call_members%40omg.org%7C783c76afc0db44ddd5c908dab0a5eaed%7C43ba4fbcdc0a4269b50364f0363799d8%7C0%7C0%7C638016523902242992%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=fkfwqmOfIUM6Xs2SQC8g9R7yeHbCTNbv8RkmMl%2F9JT0%3D&reserved=0<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwiki.omg.org%2F&data=05%7C01%7Call_members%40omg.org%7C783c76afc0db44ddd5c908dab0a5eaed%7C43ba4fbcdc0a4269b50364f0363799d8%7C0%7C0%7C638016523902242992%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=fkfwqmOfIUM6Xs2SQC8g9R7yeHbCTNbv8RkmMl%2F9JT0%3D&reserved=0> in particular may experience issues while editing due to rate limiting filters.  Let me know if you encounter issues, and we will make specific adjustments.
 *   To the best of our knowledge all mailing list mail was processed correctly. If you experienced mail that failed to be delivered to an OMG mailing list, please let me know immediately.
Thank you all, and as always it is you who makes the community.

Jason McC. Smith
Seattle, WA, USA UTC-07

Terrance Milligan
San Diego, CA, USA UTC-07